Monday, June 8, 2015

New mission call?!

Subject: New mission call?!
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2015 15:35:51 -0600

Hi everyone!

This week has been fantastic, for the most part.  Sorry for my short
letter last week!  We had a district activity at a cool park in
Copperton, and I had to rush to finish before 6:00.  But we just
played around, ate watermelon, and took pictures.  It was great!

Best district ever!














I love the engagement pictures!  And I can't believe that Melly got
baptized!  Tell her I am super proud and happy for her!

So each month, we have a mission training plan, which focuses on one
aspect of our work.  This month, we have been asked to go through the
12 week training that all missionaries go through when they enter the
field.  Going back to the basics!

On Wednesday, I went on an exchange with Elder Azevedo.  He is the one
from Auburn.  We were teaching someone in Copperton, when a windstorm
blew through.  We could hear the wind whistling past the house!  I
later heard that the winds that night got up to 70 mph that night!
Also, Wednesday morning (before the exchange), we went to a pancake
breakfast they were doing at the seminary building, and talked to
several of the kids there.

On Thursday, we gave a LOT of blessings.  One was to a former member
of the church who had her records removed because of a doubt
concerning the prophet.  She is super nice, and she still has a
testimony of the Book of Mormon.  For some reason, whenever we teach
her, I feel this strong love for her, regardless of the choices she
has made in the past.

So concerning the subject line of this email...  On Saturday, we had a
surprise last minute meeting at the mission office at 7 AM.  I don't
know if you have heard of the creation of the Orem mission, but it
will take effect July 1st.  So the southern part of our mission, i.e.
Bluffdale, Herriman, and Riverton, are all going to the Orem mission.
In addition, Kearns and most of West Jordan (including Copper Hills)
are going to the SLC West mission.  In total, our mission will be
shrunk from 89 stakes to 59.  Several missionaries will also go to
either the Orem or West missions.  I may or may not be one of them.
We'll find out June 17th!

Saturday evening, we had a huge thunderstorm, and Elder Aviles and I
made an awesome video while we went knocking on doors.  It was
awesome!

Yesterday was great!  We are teaching someone right now who thought
she was a member, but her records are nowhere to be found, so she will
need to be rebaptized.  She has a lot of health problems, and it is
difficult for her to sit for long periods of time.  But yesterday, she
came to church, and even dragged her husband along!   And she really
enjoyed it!  The Ward really reached out to her and welcomed her!  We
also taught (or tried to) a kid with autism.  This was another cool
experience, because he doesn't talk to strangers at all, so when we
tried to talk to him at church, he just wouldn't talk to us (his
mother is an active member).  But we went with him to his primary
class, and at the end, he invited us to go to his house that
afternoon!  We ended up just playing with him for most of the time,
because when we tried to teach him, he wouldn't listen.  But it was a
great experience.

Last night we ate with a Hispanic family that attends an English Ward.
Guess what I ate!  I ate cow tongue!  It was actually pretty good.
The texture was really weird- it was soft and chewy.  But they also
had their grandmother over, who has dementia, so she literally asked
Elder Aviles where he's from about 20 times!  It was funny.

This morning, we went shopping at Sam's Club, and I saw someone from
my first area!  It was actually at her house that I skyped you on
Christmas.  But it was really cool to see her!  Elder Aviles also saw
a ton of friends from previous areas.

That is my week in a nutshell.  I hope things are still going well at
home!  Mom, I actually read my emails on Sunday usually, so don't
worry about being too long!  I love reading your emails!  So what are
summer plans, other than the wedding?  Have a fantastic week!  Ciao!

Love,
Elder Jared Weller

No comments:

Post a Comment