Tuesday, January 27, 2015

1st Week!

Subject: 1st week!
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 12:08:23 -0600

Hola familia!
      Things are great here in Mexico!  It has been really warm and sunny.  As one of my roommates puts it, it is "the greatest weather on God¨s green earth".  There are also parrots (or cocatills, I don´t know which).  Mom, I wish you could see them!  I will try to get a picture.The food is pretty good too.  It is kind of a mix of American and Mexican food, and they have lots of fresh pineapple, watermelon, and honeydew.  They also have really good apple juice.  I live in a casa, which is separated into about 4 rooms with 4 elders each.  My roommates are my companion, Elder Hamilton (from Lindon, UT, and serving in Rochester, NY), Elder Tolman, and Elder Brown.  We have grown pretty close this week.  
     Our daily schedule is wake up at 6:30 and study, breakfast at 7:45, then we go to our classroom for pretty much the entire day.  At 8, we go to the computer lab for TALL (technology assisted language learning), which is really helping me to learn the gospel vocabulary.  Our teacher, Hermano Aguiñiga, is pretty cool.  We have just us 4 elders, and 8 sisters, in our class, which is also our district.  We have already started teaching an investigator.  We had our third lesson yesterday.  At first we were really bad, because we would just read the lesson that we had written down.  Now, we are getting better at being able to converse with our investigator and explain when he asks questions.  
     Sunday was AMAZING!  Elder Hamilton and I had a leadership meeting in the morning, because he is our district leader.   Then we had Priesthood, and Sacrament meeting.  We all have to prepare a talk (in Spanish) every week for Sacrament, because the branch president calls people up at random.  Thank goodness, I wasn´t asked to speak on Sunday!  On Sundayafternoon, we watched a devotional given by Elder Scott at the Provo MTC, on prayer.  That evening, we watched "Joseph Smith: Prophet of the Restoration", which I think is now my favorite movie.  We had a really powerful district testimony meeting afterwards.  The spirit was so palpable.  Also, the hymns in Spanish are amazing.  I feel the Spirit so strongly whenever we sing them.
     The flight here was pretty uneventful.  There were 3 or 4 other elders who flew out of Seattle with me.  In Houston, we had lunch at Panda Express, and met another elder who was going home for CAT scans and such after he had gotten a concussion in the field (somewhere in South America).  He told us a lot about the Mexico MTC and gave us some tips.  We then met probably a dozen other elders and sisters heading down to the MTC with us.  Customs in Mexico City was a lot easier than I expected it to be.  When we arrived here, we were given all of our study materials, as well as a complete set of leatherbound scriptures in Spanish.  Let me tell you, it is HEAVY!  I just hope I can fit it all in my luggage when I head back to Salt Lake in 5 weeks!  I will admit, the first few days were REALLY slow, but it is starting to speed up now.  All is well with me!
     Mom, I hope you are feeling better!  Just stay off those narcotics;)  Dad, thank you for sharing that scripture.  I am really excited to be fulfilling the missionary purpose, which is to "invite all to come unto Christ".  I hope I answered everyone´s questions!  I know that I am doing what I should be doing, and that the Lord will bless me and you with great abundance throughout the next two years.  I love you all, and can´t wait to talk to you on Christmas!
Hasta luego,
Elder Weller
 
PS, my p-day is today, Tuesday, while I am at the MTC.  Also, could you mail my winter things to Salt Lake?  They are already in a box in the hallway.  I also forgot to bring my camera cord, so I can´t send pics yet.  I don´t know whether you want to find it in my Electronics box and send it to Salt Lake, or if I should find another way.  Just let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment