Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Last Week in Paradise!

Subject: Last week in Paradise!
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 12:23:06 -0600

Dear family,
     HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!  I hope it went well!  How old are you now? 29?
     I am so glad to hear that everyone is doing well!  I have had a great week, I don´t even know where to start!  The past few weeks have just been a blur.
     On Tuesday, we had a devotional by a local general authority.  He told a really cool analogy about a man who was walking through a cornfield, trying to find the biggest ear of corn.  He would find a really big one, but then he would leave it in hopes of finding a bigger one.  By the time he got to the end of the cornfield, he was empty handed.  I interpreted this analogy as meaning that we need to count our blessings, whether big or small, so that when we reach the end of the cornfield, we will realize just how much the Lord has blessed us.  Also on Tuesday, our district played baseball with a tennis racquet and a whiffle ball.  It was quite an interesting experience, but we had a lot of fun.
     On Wednesday, we walk into the lifting gym for Gym time, and there is a bunch of brand new equipment!  Needless to say, we have been frequenting that gym a lot more this week.
     On Thursday, we had TRC again.  We got to teach 2 lessons this time, on receiving revelation through the Book of Mormon.  The second lesson we taught was to a lady and her son (he had some kind of mental disability) who were craftsmen by trade.  They showed us some plates that they had made from silver and copper.  One had the SLC temple on it,  They were so cool!  And I feel like I am becoming more comfortable with speaking Spanish.  
     Friday was Elder Tolman´s birthday,  Our whole district got him a whole bunch of candy and snacks from the Tienda.  He is still working on getting rid of it!  One of our teachers joined in the fun, and bought us Mini Mamuts, which are graham cracker and marshmallow covered in chocolate.  It´s just like a s´more!  
     Saturday evening, Elder Peters (the poet) shared several of his poems with us, including some which were VERY personal to him, about trials that he has gone through and overcome with the help of Jesus Christ.  He is leaving for the field tonight!  I will miss him.
     Sunday was awesome, as always!  We had testimony meeting, and I shared mine (in Spanish, of course).  We also fasted from lunch on Saturday to lunch on Sunday, which was really different for me.  The devotional that afternoon was one by Elder Bednar, on how to be a better Preach My Gospel missionary.  One thing that he said is that for those who wonder if they have been completely forgiven of past sins, the best confirmation is that you will feel the Holy Ghost, because it can´t dwell in unholy temples.  This was really comforting to me, because I have been feeling the Holy Ghost a lot this week, especially during lessons with our "investigators".  Saturday was especially profound.  I just kept feeling impressions to say or read something.  It was amazing!  Sunday evening, we watched the First Presidency Christmas Devotional from Salt Lake.  Did you guys watch it?  Elder Christofferson told the story of a boy in West Jordan who had a severe case of leukemia, and they knew he would not live to see Halloween, his birthday, or Christmas.  His stake and neighbors put together a week of celebration, where they celebrated each of these in a week for this boy.  He then passed away three days later.  The music from the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra at Temple Square was amazing as well.  It really got me into the Christmas spirit.  That afternoon, we had choir practice.  We couldn´t do it in the auditorium that day, so all 36 of us crowded into our choir director´s apartment.  We are singing several songs, including "This is the Christ", "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing" and the EFY version of ¨"Nearer My God To Thee".  This one is right in my range, so I was just belting it out!  We were so loud in that tiny room, and the Spirit was SO strong!
     Yesterday, they restocked the Tienda with Durazno (peach) juice.  This stuff is the best, so we stocked up on about 20 bottles between the 4 of us.  That afternoon, Elder Hamilton was telling me about how his plan to get fat off of Durazno juice was "coming to fruition".  This pun was completely unintended! After dinner, we watched our teacher, Hermano Sanchez, play the piano for a while.  He is really good!  Also, apparently, the hill/small mountain next to the CCM was on fire around dinner time.  I never saw it, but we could definitely smell it for a while.  I bet it was caused by a firework.  We have been hearing a lot of them lately.  I don´t know why.  But that´s Mexico for you!
  Guess what I did this morning!  I got my hair cut!  It is REALLY short, but it looks good.  I will send a picture sometime.  I also got my flight itinerary this morning.  I will be leaving the CCM at 2:30 next Tuesday morning.  I am so excited to get into the field, and to back in the States, but at the same time, I will really miss the CCM and the friends I´ve made here.  By the way, Elder Hamilton and I took a selfie last night with the head cook, Estaban.  He really likes us.
     I believe that is about everything.  The weather has been awesome here!  Yesterday afternoon, we were outside in the sun, and it was HOT!  Mom, I haven´t gotten tired of the food yet (at least not most of it).  Tonight is Costco pizza night, which I am always excited for!  Elder Hamilton and I are getting along really well now, which has been an answer to my prayers.  I have noticed a lot of those lately.  I guess it´s a result of my becoming more in tune with the Spirit.  Seriously, my testimony has grown leaps and bounds in the past 5 weeks!  I know that Christ is my Savior, and that he loves each and every one of us.  On Saturday, we went outside for class, and read 3 Nephi 11.  Our teacher then had us close our eyes and imagine that we were there, meeting the Savior in person.  It was such a cool experience!  I know that the Book of Mormon is true.  I have been reading out of Mosiah and Alma this week, and it is cool to see how the people were blessed and prospered when they were obedient.  I know that our family has been greatly blessed, especially in the past month.  I love all of you!  I probably won´t be able to write next week, since I will be on a plane.  But I will write you the next week, and then it will be Christmas!  I love you all, and may you always have the Holy Ghost with you! 
Love,
Elder Weller

No comments:

Post a Comment