Tuesday, January 27, 2015

One Month Down, 23 To Go!

Subject: 1 month down, 23 to go!
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 12:17:11 -0600

Buenos dias por la Ciudad de Mexico!
(Good morning from Mexico City!)
     I am so glad to hear that everyone is doing well!  Mom, thank you for the pics.  I can´t believe that it snowed AND flooded at the same time!  I have also been keeping an eye on the weather in Snohomish, and in Utah, every time we come to the computer lab for TALL.  It has been really warm and sunny during the day here (and it is December!) but it gets pretty chilly at night.  One morning, there was even a little bit of frost on the grass, so we asked our teacher how to say "frosty".  He said congelado, but we all thought he said "con helado", which means "with ice cream"!  He had to write it on the board before we understood!  And by the way, I´m okay with you posting my emails.  Shaney, we saw the gift video in class the other day, and it is awesome!  We also watched one called ¨"Because of Him".  It is SO wonderful!  And Ryan, you can have my bow and arrows, but they are a little rusty.  
     Life here is great!  I can´t believe that I´ve been here a month already!  Last Wednesday we got a new district in our zone.  A few of them are serving in Vancouver, WA.  We are also saying goodbye to our old zone leaders today, which is pretty sad.  They are serving in Des Moines, Iowa.  I will tell them to keep an eye out for Elder Dickson!
     Thanksgiving was awesome here!  In the morning, we watched a live devotional in Provo given by Elder Bednar.  He decided to do a Q&A session.  In Provo, they handed out cell phones, so people could text questions to him, and here, they handed out note cards so we could write our questions, and then they emailed them directly to Elder Bednar.  My question wasn´t answered, but the Spirit was SO strong.  After the Devotional, we went to lunch.  The tables were all covered in tablecloths, and they served us a wonderful Thankgiving meal on REAL dishes.  Yes, Mom, we did have turkey, and it was delicious!  We also had mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, green beans, and apple pie with ice cream.  The rest of the day was a normal schedule.
     Sunday was great, as it always is here.  In our leadership meeting, our branch president, President Martineau, talked about how Nephi struggled just like everyone else does, in 2 Nephi 2.  However, Nephi then remembered how the Lord had helped him in the past, and he gained strength from that.  Our Sunday devotional was one by Elder Holland.  He speaks SO powerfully!  He literally commanded us that we need to have at least one convert on our missions, and that had better be ourselves.  He also told us that we need to be better missionaries than anyone before us (except the Savior, of course).  Sunday evening, we watched videos about the history of sister missionaries, "Just a Stonecutter" (a stonecutter who walked 44 miles a week to work on the SLC temple, even after having his leg amputated), and one about the crucifixion.  I always feel the Spirit so strongly during these videos, and during our district testimony meetings afterward.
     Last week, I read the parable of the vineyard in Jacob 5.  At the end of the parable, where the Lord of the vineyard calls his servants to help, I realized that those servants are not just the prophets, as I thought before, but they are missionaries!  Then, it talks about how the servants were blessed for keeping the commandments and being diligent.  I am so excited for the opportunity to labor in the Lord´s vineyard.  It´s hard to believe that I will be back in Salt Lake in 2 weeks!  I am excited to teach real investigators.  It´s just not the same when you are teaching your teachers or other missionaries.
     Yesterday, we started teaching others in our district, who made investigator profiles for themselves, based on people they know.  Elder Hamilton and I taught a couple sisters the Plan of Salvation.  One of their  characters was an Atheist though, so she kept asking really hard questions, such as "how do you know that God exists?", which are really difficult to answer in English let alone is Spanish.  But we just kept bearing our testimonies of prayer and of the Holy Ghost whenever we couldn´t quite answer a question.  Overall, I think it went pretty well, although I realized that I need a lot more practice speaking Spanish.  I can read and write well, but my mouth still has a hard time forming words.  
     One of the sisters in my district thinks that I go out cage fighting every night, because whenever my companion is being annoying, I try to be patient with him.  I play along with it.  Haha!  Elder Hamilton and I have had our ups and downs the past few weeks, since we are very different people.  But I am praying for more patience and love for him.  I have noticed huge improvements in my prayers since I´ve been here.  I am praying a lot more for others, and I am trying to be more thankful.
     I think that just about wraps this week up!  Time is flying by so quickly now.  I am so excited to get out into the field.  I am so grateful to be a representative of Jesus Christ, and for the opportunity to serve Him by bringing His beloved children back to the fold.  I know that I have been called by a prophet of God, and that He has prepared people in Salt Lake specifically for me to teach.  My testimony has grown so much in the past month, and my love for the Savior has grown immensely.
Para siempre Dios este con vos! (God be with you forever)
 
Love,
Elder Weller

No comments:

Post a Comment