Sunday, February 1, 2015

Blackmail with Jared Baby Pics ... Not Quite!

Subject: [insert creative title here]
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 13:04:06 -0700

Hi everyone!
     Sorry, I couldn't think of anything to put in the subject line...
     Life has been great here!  On Tuesday, I went on my first exchange with my District Leader, Elder Hall.  We had a really good time together. He is always very outgoing and animated, but he knows when it is and when it is not appropriate.  I made it one of my goals to be more happy and animated when I am talking to people.  Sadly, Elder Hall is dying (i.e. going home) in less than a month.  I will try to get a picture with him.
     When the Sisters told me that they had met the Christensens, they began very vaguely by telling me (through texting) that they had baby pictures of me that they could use to blackmail me with.  I was thinking "Where in the world did they get baby pictures of me?"  But apparently, the Christensens showed them Mom's blog.  But I was thinking until now that they had met Michelle Searel (Did I spell that right?).  I didn't know that Sean lived down here as well.
     I have been working this week on OYMing (open your mouth), and talking with everyone I see.  Each time I do it, it gets easier.  We have met some interesting people, including some born again Christians.  We also found some new people to teach, and they seemed interested to hear more, so I hope they continue to invite us back.  At the same time, this week was a bit frustrating.  Most of our appointments fell through, and our investigators who are close to baptism are not coming to church.  But I guess we can't take away their agency.  All we can do is continue to pray for them and show our love for them. 
     Last night, we taught the Restoration to the Thompson family (the ones I Skyped you from), and then we had a ping pong tournament and ate cookies fresh out of the oven.  Then we went to correlate with our ward mission leader, who lives right by the Jordan River Temple.  He is from Peru, and doesn't speak very much English, so I taught him how to say dates (25th, 20th, etc).  It was funny to watch him try to form the words that end in -fth or -xth.
     The weather has been a lot warmer here.  The snow is almost gone (notice how I say almost).  Shaney, we have gotten a lot of rain as well.  It was even snowing earlier today, but it didn't stick.
     This week, we put up "Ask the missionaries" flyers in all of the meetinghouses in the two stakes we cover, complete with a lovely picture of us.  So hopefully that will help us to get some more referalls.
     I think that is all for this week.  Sister Brumfield (our landlord) finished embroidering our names onto the blankets she made us for Christmas.  I will send a picture next week.  Mom, I enjoy reading your long emails, so don't worry about shortening them.  Dad, I loved your thought about the Atonement.  This week, we received a copy of a talk by Elder Holland called "The Inconvenient Messiah", where he talks about the temptations of Satan to the Savior, after he had been fasting for 40 days.  Christ withstood the temptations because it was not the right way.  He knew that he had to put in the effort to receive bread, rather than using his divine power to just make it.  We also need to put in our effort, but as we do, we will receive countless blessings.  This is my testimony to you, that Christ lives and that He is our perfect example.
Love,
Elder Jared Weller

No comments:

Post a Comment