Monday, February 16, 2015

Transfers! ... And Pictures!!

E and M Salgado and their kids, A and Y. 
They are recent converts who we visited a lot. 
They are the sweetest family, and they loved to feed us. 
Whenever I told you about eating something spicy,
it was probably at their house!
Subject: Transfers!
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 11:18:49 -0700

Sooo, I am no longer in Bingham Creek.  Just as we were beginning to get people close to baptism, President Chambers transferred me to the Copper Hills Spanish branch (in the western part of West Jordan).  My new companion, Elder Aguilar, and I, whitewashed the area.  This is a missionary term that we use when both missionaries in an area are replaced at the same time.  When we got here on  Wednesday, neither of us knew anyone or the area.  Luckily, the previous Elders left us a detailed letter about who we can visit.  Our new hosts, the Clausen's, are awesome.  They talk with us every night and always tell us how proud they are of us.  Sadly, we won't be living there for very long, because their daughter is moving back (we can't live in a house with other young adults).
     The new branch is tiny, but the people are awesome!  The past five days we have mostly been visiting members, less actives, and the investigators we know about.  On Saturday we met an interesting guy who was trying to tell us how we have been brainwashed, and that he we cannot tell him that we know the truth because we have prayed and felt an answer, because we can't trust our feelings.  He was trying to convince us of his way of thinking, using reason.  It reminded me of the time before the Restoration, when all of the churches were having a war of words, but the Spirit was not present.  So that was an interesting experience.  
     Going back to my last few days in Bingham Creek, on Monday, we ate lunch at Pizza Pie Cafe.  Soo good!  It is an all-you-can-eat pizza buffet!  After emailing, we had a zone activity.  We did a photo scavenger hunt, where you go around and take pictures of yourself doing different challenges.  We ate garbage, wrote JESUS in a chain link fence with leaves, taught the gospel to some dogs, and Elder Hall rode a kid's bike.  I will send pics.
     Tuesday:  funny story!  So we were visiting E, a young adult member, and her boyfriend pulled up in his beefed-up car, and left it running.  When E's mom, Sister M, came out and saw the running car, she got in and took it for a joyride!  And the boyfriend didn't even notice!  That evening, we ate dinner with a family from Kamas, UT, and apparently they know Wellers there.  Relatives? Maybe?
     That is my week!  Elder Aguilar and I are getting along great!  Btw, I did get your Valentine's Day package on Monday.  Thank you!!  (And yes, I am sharing with my companion :)  I am glad to hear that you guys had fun at the beach.  The weather has been beautiful here as well.  I love driving down 9000 S and seeing the entire valley and the mountains.  I will take a picture sometime (when I'm not driving).  I hope you all had a wonderful Valentine's Day.  I love you all, and testify to you that this church is true!  One thing that I have been thinking about lately is how Christ suffered for all of our sins, pains, and weaknesses, not collectively, but one-by-one.  He knows and loves each one of us individually, and understands us better than we understand ourselves.  That is why we need to put our trust in Him.  

Lots of Love,
Elder Jared Weller
 
P.s. Dad, teach the future missionaries about the importance of OYMing (opening your mouth), and have them role play. This is something everyone struggles with, but it is so important that everyone we see on the street has the opportunity to hear the Restored Gospel.  You don't always know when Heavenly Father has placed someone in your path!


Breaking into the mission car
...not really!



No comments:

Post a Comment